It's A Boy!

So it seems my plea with my child was successful. We went for our ultrasound on Friday and found out we're having a boy!  He was not shy. His legs were flipped up toward his head and he was very proud. The ultrasound tech did all of the measurements and images required for the doctor and then showed us some fun stuff. We got to see all of his arms and legs and his beautiful little hands. He must have been tired because he was very still this time except for the fluttering of his heart in his chest.  It was incredible!  It was INCREDIBLE!

After finding out it's a boy I started making phone calls and then went shopping. I didn't buy much - only a onesie that says, "Daddy's happy I'm a boy." I had a moment of disappointment, then guilt, then got over it (God bless those mood swings) when I was at Baby Gap. I thought about all the cute stuff I could be buying if we were having a girl.  There is sssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooo much stuff out there for girls. I just feel like boys get the shaft.  But I quickly came back to my senses when I realized how terrible I am at accessorizing myself. It will be so much easier to throw on a cute cap and let the boy go play. 

I do still get freaked out. Even though I have nephews I feel like I have absolutely no idea what to do with a boy.  I know girls - after all I am one. I have sisters. I know girls.  Boys - I'm completely clueless. I guess it's a good thing I have a very helpful and understanding husband. He has already been informed that he WILL be the one to talk to have the sex talk with him. I don't have those parts; I'm not an authority on the subject.

Not only that, I get freaked out at the responsibility of a boy. How do I raise a son that values true manhood over maleness? Who fears God and respects women? How do I protect his heart and his mind from all the trash that is out there?  I guess this is again where the husband comes in. Tanner is all of the things I want my son to be. He is kind and sensitive, silly and tough.  He loves me, but knows how to call me out on things.  I pray that my son is half the man I have seen my husband become. Let me tell you - those are big shoes to fill.
 
So we totally should have known this kid was going to be a boy! For the last couple weeks that I've been able to feel him move he has been very active while we are watching football. NFL, college, whatever - he goes nuts when there is a football game on tv. Can't wait until Tanner can feel his little man going crazy in my belly!

So just one quick story about the response to the "It's a boy" news and then I'm done for today. My nephew, Connor - 4 years old, has been very excited about the prospect of a baby boy. When he got to my mom's house after school she told him the news. He said, "I am so proud! I will train him. He will be my youngling and I will train him to be a Jedi. And I will buy him a light saber and teach him how to use it."  How sweet is he!

May the force be with you.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! Boys are easy!! I didn't think I could do it either but once he was put into my arms I knew I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I always thought I wanted a girl to dress up (and yes, boys do get the shaft in the clothing dept), but boys sure do LOOOOVE their mamas! And I hear that once the teenage years hit, boys are much easier!

    ReplyDelete