Ode to the Tan-man

So we went to our first childbirth class this week. It was weird. It just still doesn't seem like this is really happening sometimes.....at least not to us. I realized how terrible my diet is when I had to write down everything I had eaten that day. Carbs, carbs and carbs - not a great way to grow a baby. But he seems to be holding his own. We had to fill out a lot of other paperwork - contact info, other blah blah blah. There was one page that was more fun stuff. One of the questions on that page asked what characteristic we see in our mate that hoped to see in our child. Now, I know I'm pregnant so a lot of things make me cry (this is really not all that different from my pre-pregnant disposition), but this one really hit me. Through my held back tears I started writing. "Kind, helpful and loves his mom."  These are just a few of the amazing characteristics I hope my son inherits from his daddy.

Tanner and I have quite a concrete morning routine. I hit the snooze button on the alarm several times before I poke him and say, "Tanner, time to get up." He reluctantly roles out of bed as I try to get a few more winks before getting up to eat breakfast. By the time he is ready to leave for work I've started on my bowl of Life and am sitting at the kitchen table reading my bible. He gives me a quick kiss and I say, "Bye baby - I love you." He replies with a quick, "Love you, too," and then it's off to work.  This morning I got a phone call after I got out of the shower. It was Tanner just calling to tell me he loves. He said he didn't want to say a quick routine one, but a real one. Of course I started to cry, but come on - how sweet is that?!?!  This is following a night where he spent the evening paying bills, doing laundry and cleaning up the house while I zoned out on the couch. I am so spoiled! And so blessed.

You can see why the question made me cry. There are so many things I want to teach my son, but no one can teach him how to treat his wife better than his daddy!

1 comment: