First Peak at Pipsqueak - 8 Weeks

We had our first visit to the OB/GYN to check out our littlest one.  I thought I would join the pinspired trend of monthly pregnancy updates by answering the same questions each month.
How far along?  Math says 8 weeks, 2 days.  Ultrasound says 8 weeks, 5 days.
Total weight gain: down 4 lbs.
Baby is the size of: a lego


I want to take a picture each month comparing the baby to the size of one of Cooper's toys.   
Let's face it...it's really not safe for him to have toys the size of this baby right now. 
So I stole an image from Google.  :)  
Baby is actually closer to the size of a four-peg brick, but I couldn't find a picture of one.
Maternity clothes? None yet, although I feel like certain undergarments will need to go up a size soon.
Stretch marks?  no new ones
Sleep: Oh, how I miss 8 hours of uninterrupted zzzzz's.  I have been waking up fairly consistently around 2 am and I'm not able to get back to sleep until around 4 am.  I've also been falling asleep on the couch by 8 pm more nights than not.  It takes serious amounts of caffeine at dinner to keep me up until Coop's bedtime.
Symptoms: Exhaustion, eating like a famished hobo, a little nausea, but no vomiting. 
Movement: only tummy bubbles, no baby.
Food Cravings: More aversions than cravings. Quit coffee cold turkey...just can't stand it.  Makes me a little sad.  I haven't craved sweets like I normally do.
Miss anything? Energy. Ready for the 1st trimester exhaustion to pass.
I had felt pretty anxious about this pregnancy up until our first appointment.  We announced the pregnancy sooner this time than we did with Cooper and I was still uncertain about that decision.  I just wasn't sure it was going to "stick."  It was such a relief to see that heartbeat and hear that Baby seems to be right on track (or maybe a little ahead - overachiever!). 

I saw the PA this visit and we discussed how Cooper's birth had gone a little differently than we had hoped.  She very quickly said we wouldn't adjust my due date just because the ultrasound measured and little big.  She also said we didn't even have to discuss an induction date.  I was very happy to hear that she understood my concerns and was willing to listen. 

I had briefly considered switching to a different doctor or maybe even using a midwife.  After lots of thought, staying with my same doctor just feels like what I need to do.  I almost feel a need for a do-over.  We may end up with same outcome.  We may spend our baby's first week running back and forth to the hospital.  I may fall apart preparing to leave the hospital with an empty carseat.  I may nearly have a panic attack walking into my child's room for the first time after he/she is born because they aren't there.  But at least, this time around, I know we can survive it.  I know NICU babies can grow up to be healthy babies..toddlers...preschoolers (yup - Cooper is about to be a preschooler {tear}).  I know that how something starts doesn't have to determine it's entire future.  I have a feeling the future is bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment