Bittersweet Mommy Moments

We've all had them...those moments where our hearts are so full of love/joy/pride and yet there is part of us that feels sad/disappointed/regret.   I just had one of those moments.  I tucked Cooper into his big boy bed nearly 30 minutes ago.  I flipped on the TV and sat down to have a snack (raspberries and an orange - yeah me!) when I heard Coop singing to himself.  I stood outside his room for probably 5 minutes trying to figure out song it was (maybe B-I-N-G-O ???).  I love hearing that sweet boy sing.  Yesterday when I picked him up from school he had had an accident after his nap; he made up a song about and was singing it to his teachers.  He also spent all of naptime one day last week singing Jesus Loves Me.  Sweet, silly, rotten boy!

So there I was, outside his room, wondering how long he would keep this up before giving in and falling asleep.  And for a brief flash, I was taken back to Cooper's infancy.  I was back to waking up every 2 hours at night.  I was back to my wit's end.  I was sitting outside his door for 30 minutes at 4 in the morning crying, praying that he would learn how to go back to sleep without nursing.   I was exhausted. 

And now I'm back to the real world.  Wishing he would wake up in the night (just once in a while) so that I could help him fall asleep.  Maybe someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment