The First of Many Firsts

Today was a day full of firsts for the Corbin family. We had our first meal outside the house as a family of three.  I met Tanner at work and we went to Hideway for some delicious pizza. Cooper did great!  He slept in his car seat most of the time.  It was really weird to walk in and tell the hostess we were 2 and a baby. That will definitely take some getting used to.

I also took Cooper to PPOK to meet Tanner's coworkers.  They loved him. He was probably held by more people in the 30 minutes we were there than in his entire 20 days combined.  All the women wanted to take his socks off and see his little baby feet. To each her own....I guess. After that I took him by the pharmacy to meet the folks I work with. They were pretty busy so we didn't stay long. But it was nice to see everyone.

This is kind of random, but I probably ought to update everyone on how Cooper has been doing since we brought him home.  We went to the pediatrician (with Tanner in tow) for the first time Monday, February 28. He weighed 6lbs 7oz (up 2 ounces since leaving the hospital).  I was so nervous that they would need to draw blood to check his bili level. I know this sounds a little over protective, but this kid has been poked a lot.  Dr. Arambula had this fancy little contraption that she touched to his forehead that read his level. I was so excited that they didn't have to stick him again!  He still had a little jaundice so he got to sit by the window and work on his tan.

This Monday was my first time to take Cooper anywhere by myself.  We went back to the doctor.  He had gained 8 ounces (6lbs 15oz if you are keeping track) and his jaundice had resolved. He pulled what Dr. Arambula calls a "little boy trick." He peed all over the exam table. The trick is that he had a diaper on....and the diaper was 100% dry.  He somehow made a puddle all over the table without getting a single drop in his diaper.  I don't know how he did it, but at least we could leave the diaper on him. 

After the doctor we took our first trip to Target. This also led to his first meal in the dressing room. Thank you Target for being so accommodating to this nursing mom! It's nice to not have to pack formula and bottles when we get out.  His meals are always ready to go as long as we are together. However, I refuse to go to the bathroom to feed him. Seriously, would you want to eat your lunch in a bathroom? Didn't think so. It's not like I'm stripping down in the middle of an aisle. I have a very discreet nursing cover for times when there isn't a fitting room available. And I guess if all else fails, we'll just go to the car. It's an adjustment, but we will make it work.

I know we will have so many firsts, most of which will be more significant than pizza. But we are trying to enjoy each of the firsts as they come. I'm sure before we know it we will be experiencing some less enjoyable firsts.  His first time being grounded, his first date - who are we kidding? He can't date...ever!  Maybe even those we will enjoy in some way. Maybe he will learn a valuable lesson or meet the girl of his dreams.  One of these days, we will move on from these little, possibly meaningless, firsts to the real deal. But for now, I'm loving the little firsts.

No comments:

Post a Comment